- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 ounces finely chopped prosciutto
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juices
- inches a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and milk; let stand 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine prosciutto, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, parsley, oregano, 3 tablespoons basil, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add soaked bread crumbs and mix gently until combined. Divide into 1/4 cup portions; roll into balls. Set on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 11" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown meatballs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to plate.
- In same pan, warm 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, cook one minute, Add tomatoes and juices; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cook until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons basil. Add meatballs; cook, turning occasionally and basting with sauce, until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer to platter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!