Roasted Sweet Onion Comfit
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
My mouth is watering just thinking about this. I can't wait to serve this over a nice grilled NY Strip! Serve with roasted or grilled meats and poultry, or with fish.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs vidalia onions (3 medium) or 1 1/2 lbs other sweet onions (3 medium)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8- by 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the onions so they are in bite-size, manageable lengths for eating with a fork. Place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the oregano, allspice, salt, pepper and vinegar. Toss, using a fork or your fingers, until the onions are evenly coated. Add the oil and toss again.
- Arrange the onions in the prepared baking dish. Pour in the broth. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake the onions 60 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 30 minutes longer, or until the onions are soft and browned, and most of the liquid has evaporated. Cool completely.
- Serve with roasted or grilled meats and poultry, or with fish. These onions keep tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to five days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION