Rhubarb Coffee Cake
photo by Ashley Cuoco
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar together in mixing bowl.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
- Mix flour and baking soda together and fold into batter.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Turn into greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Topping: Mix all ingredients together until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over top.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until done.
I have made this recipe over and over again during rhubarb season since 2006. It turns out great every time, but it turns out extra great if you cream the butter and sugar for a really long time (3-4 mins), then add each egg, continuing to beat for a few minutes each. I just let the electric beaters go and go until I notice the mixture has fluffed to a greater volume than when I started. Don't over mix the dry with the wet, and add LOTS of rhubarb on top, pressing it into the batter, then sprinkle on your topping layer.
Excellent cake! I used plain yogurt instead of sour cream, as it was what I had on hand. I misread my measuring cups and ended up using 1 2/3 c. sugar, so I went ahead and put in 2 1/2 c. rhubarb (which I had thawed and was quite "wet"). I had to bake this for 40 minutes for the center to set. The flavor turned out wonderful, not too sweet, not too tangy. This one is a keeper if you love rhubarb!
My tweak was to substitute 1/2 C chopped pickled watermelon rinds, and instead of granulated sugar, 3/4 C thick syrup from a failed attempt to make caramel for apples. The syrup had salt and cream, and I believe it added that savory depth that others comment is missing from this recipe. (Maybe sweetened condensed milk would give the same result). I combined the same syrup with corn flakes for the topping. It was absolutely delicious, and super moist.