Refried Beans (Gluten Free)
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 -4 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- Sort through dried beans and remove any pebbles, off-colored beans or debris. Rinse thoroughly and drain.
- Put beans in crock pot and add chicken stock and enough water to cover beans by about 3 inches.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until tender.
- Drain beans, but reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and set aside.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup of cooked beans and place the rest into food processor (or a large bowl to mash by hand).
- Pulse a few times and then add oil. Process to incorporate.
- Add tomato paste, vinegar, onion, jalapeno, garlic, salt, cumin and chili powder. Process until smooth and combined.
- Add reserved beans and pulse a couple times; just enough to break them up. Serve as desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! I am happily married with two children, 26 and 12. For nearly 10 years when this site was Recipezaar and then Food.com I hosted several different forums. I enjoyed making, creating, reviewing, and photographing recipes, but what I miss the most are the friendships I made here. I was Food Editor for the Mill Creek View Newspaper in Mill Creek, WA. for about 4 years during that time. Currently I am the office manager at a small mental health clinic. I'm not on this site much anymore, but I do continue to appreciate and respond to all reviews posted to my recipes.