Unfried Refried Beans
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water (or 9 cups an equivalent amount of half water and half broth)
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
Join The Conversation
I am NOT a big bean fan but wanted to use healthier re-fried beans in another recipes. I used half black beans and half northern beans. My only complaint was there was too much pepper for me. I also threw away the cooking water and added new water when I mashed them (somewhere I read that you should never use the first water when making beans because it causes nasty gases).
I made these yesterday and they were great! The beans I bought came with a packet of ham flavoring so I used that instead of stock. I also didn't use as much black pepper. Next time I'll probably chop up the onion because I had a hard time getting that to blend in. Over all the whole family really liked them. My 4 year old brought his stool and a spoon over to the crock pot and scraped out as much as he could. :) Thanks so much for posting, I'm sure I'll make this again and again!