Red Lentil, Tomato and Spinach Soup
photo by Michelle from Central Time
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons masoor dal, washed (split red lentils)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 -3 black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ghee or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat the butter in a pan and add the onions, garlic and peppercorns.
- When the onions turn translucent, add the lentils, tomatoes, salt and 2 cups of water and cook till the dal is tender. About 20 minutes.
- When cool, blend to get a smooth purée.
- Add the spinach, milk and bring to a boil.
- Finish by adding the lemon juice.
- Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Suprisingly full of flavour considering the simple list of ingredients. Very warming, great for a chilly day like today or for fighting off colds. My only problem with it is that it didn't make 4 servings. Partly due to me using fresh tomatoes I'm sure, but I think they were so nice in this I would do it the same way again. I ended up adding a cup of veg broth and it worked out well. Next time I would just make a double batch. Thanks Rita!