Red Lentil Puree
This is a wonderful Mediterranean starter or side dish.
- Ready In:
- 7 ounces red lentils
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 -8 sprigs thyme (10-12 cm long)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 black olives
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 2 cherry tomatoes, halfed
- 1⁄2 small onion, sliced in rings
- Bring water, lentils and thyme to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes until lentils are soft and water is absorbed (for cooking time: refer also to package directions).
- Remove Thyme Sprigs and mash Lentils.
- Add salt, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Serve warm or cold. Decorate with black olives, capers, cherry tomatoes and onion rings.
- NOTE: Mirj suggested to add some lemon zest to the lentil puree. Thank you Mirj, I think this is a great idea to support a fresh note.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is so good! I used dried thyme (1 1/2 tsp) instead of the fresh...I'm sure the recipe is better as written, but I didn't have access to fresh thyme. Anyway, I cooked the lentils a little longer than indicated in the recipe (probably 25 minutes) and added a little extra water as needed. This was so easy and makes a great dip/spread. Thanks for posting!Reply
see 4 more