Dhal - Lentil Puree
Dhal is an easy tasty dish to make. If this is the first time you have eaten Dhal you might like to serve it with another Indian dish. You can eat Dhal with boiled rice, Indian breads or just by itself. This is a great budget stretcher.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ghee or 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups water
- Wash lentils thoroughly, removing those that float on the surface.
- Drain well.
- Heat ghee or oil and fry onion, garlic and ginger until onion is golden.
- Add turmeric and stir well.
- Add drained lentils and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water, lower heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, mix thoroughly and continue cooking until lentils are soft and the consistency is thick, similar to porridge.
- Serve Dhal plain or garnish with sliced onion, fried until golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Hi Chrissy, thanks for this tasty recipe with its short ingredient list and easy to follow instructions. I made up a batch to take for lunches this week and sprinkled some sauteed mushrooms and green onions on the top. Yummy! And even yummier the next day! Next time might add a bit of chili powder.Reply