Red Beans (Trinidad)
photo by Derf2440
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion (rough or finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 inch square gingerroot (finely chopped)
- 1 (10 ounce) can red kidney beans (drained. You can use cooked dried beans but that takes a longer time)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water (or less)
- salt (optional)
- Saute onions garlic and ginger on high heat until fragrant ( about 2 minutes).
- Add the drained kidney beans, ketchup and 1/2 cup of water and stir.
- I don't bother adding salt to this, as the brine that the beans were soaked in is sufficient. However if you wish you can salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer until the sauce has thickened. (About 5-10mins). It depends on how much water you put inches.
- NB. When cooking in the US and Canada I found that North American ketchups tend to be more tart and acidic than Caribbean ones.
- For an authentic caribbean flavour, add sugar to the sauce 1 tsp at a time until you get the desired sweetness.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
You can no longer find me on here on Recipezaar. You can go to my website below if you have any questions about any of my recipes