Plantain Baked in Orange Juice (Trinidad)
photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
- 2 plantains, ripe (skins almost completely black)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & grease an 8" square baking dish.
- Peel & slice the plantains, preferrably lengthwise, then lay the slices out in the prepared baking dish.
- Mix honey, juice, zest & salt & pour over plantains.
- Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg, then sprinkle over the top of the plantains.
- Bake for 15-20 inutes or until browned & tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
MMMmmmmm! So glad you posted this! This is delicious! The orange, cinnamon and nutmeg flavored this nicely and there was just the right amount of sweetness. Wonderful! Just the dish you might find on the table in the table of the locals in Trinidad - indiginous and earthy! I have had fried, ripened plantains in a friend's home in Venezuela and in the homes of Cuban friends so this brought back great memories! In the future I might increase the orange juice by 1/4 cup and dot the top with butter as it was a bit dry. Thanks so much Sydney Mike! Reviewed for Ali Baba's Babes for ZWT5.