Quick Pea Pesto Side Dish
- Ready In:
- 1 lb peas, frozen (500 g)
- 3⁄8 cup of fresh mint, chopped up (100 ml)
- 3⁄8 cup fresh parsley, chopped up (100 ml)
- salt (1/2 teaspoon if using flaky sea salt)
- 1 -2 tablespoon cream, fresh (15 - 30 ml)
- Steam the peas without water if they're still frozen. I prefer the young, tender peas. Drain the peas in a sieve after cooking.
- Drain, put into food processor, and add the mint, parsley and salt.
- Depending on the consistency of the pea puree, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh cream, or more if you like.
- Ground nutmeg is an optional extra seasoning. Depending on taste, you might want to add more mint or/and parsley. This is a nutritious side dish.
- Great as a side with roast chicken or lamb.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"I'm a widow, retired, and I love cooking. I live on the coast in South Africa and I love seafood. You're welcome to my recipes (all kinds, definitely not just seafood!) Just remember that no recipe is ever cast in stone -- adjust to your taste! The photo was taken at a rustic seaside restaurant on our West Coast, approx 1 year ago (2016)."
Join The Conversation
This dish was a pleasant surprise - I expected it to be good but it's great! I used just a little lowfat milk to get the consistency I wanted. The mint and parsley made the peas taste so fresh and light. I didn't add nutmeg but did add a nice sprinkling of black pepper. Thanks for sharing the recipe!