Quick Homemade Tomato Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I needed a recipe for a quick tomato sauce and all I had was canned tomatoes. I found this online and it was perfect! I hardly want "slow" cooked sauce anymore!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (canola is OK)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or more, to your taste)
- 28 ounces chopped tomatoes, petite cut (canned)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or less, to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs, dried (or fresh chopped basil, I use Penzey's pasta sprinkle)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions; you could also use shallots if you had them. Cook until soft, a few minutes. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to the point where the sauce still simmers. Add dried herbs. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. (While it’s simmering, you can smash the sauce up a bit with a ricer or pastry blender, to break up some of the tomatoes--depends on how chunky you like your sauce.) If using fresh basil, add now.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION