Pyrenees-style roasted figs
photo by Sackville
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 18 small purple figs, slightly overripe
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, juice of (optional)
- fresh ground pepper (optional)
- creme fraiche or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Butter a shallow, flameproof baking dish.
- Place figs in dish side by side, stems up; sprinkle with 1/4 c sugar and 1 tablespoon water.
- Bake on oven's center rack for 20 minutes, basting figs from time to time with syrupy juices in the dish.
- Add walnuts and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Lower oven temperature to 300° and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Carefully transfer figs and walnuts to serving dish; drizzle with honey.
- At serving time, spoon syrup over figs.
- They are delicious as is; to enhance further, sprinkle with lemon juice and a grinding of pepper.
- Serve cold with creme fraiche or softly whipped cream, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I felt like a Queen eating this. I buttered the baking dish placed the just washed figs, so I didn`t add any more water. Sprinkled with sugar which carmelized wonderfully. The walnuts and figs were meant to go together!I topped the hot figs with ice cream then topped with lavender honey recipe #63539.
Wow! Not what I expected but this took figs to a whole new level! This was one of the recipes I tried when I bought a container of fresh figs. Don't know why I bought them, my only fig experience is with Newtons. But now I'm much more a fig-officianato! Served this on vanilla ice cream and it was divine!
see 1 more reviews