Purple Rice Balls
photo by kittycatonline.com
- Ready In:
- 2 cups sweet rice (Sho Chiku Bai)
- 2 tablespoons pirurutong rice (dark purple rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Add sweet rice and pirurutong rice in rice cooker, along with 2 cups of water.
- Mix the rice up to get the two rice types combined, and cook.
- When the rice is done, use a wooden spoon and fold in the remaining ingredients. I find it easiest to do this while the rice pot is still in the cooker.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Get a baking sheet or flat pan that will fit in your refrigerator.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Use a small cookie dough scoop and scoop out balls of rice onto baking sheet.
- Place sheet in refrigerator.
- Once the rice balls have cooled, they may be transferred to a container for storage in the refrigerator.
- Substitute 1 cup pourable Splenda and 1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut. When adding in to the rice, add in a bit of Splenda at a time or it may clump.
- Pirurutong rice: This is a Filipino rice which appears dark in uncooked form. You might be able to find it in Asian grocery stores or get some online. It may also go by the name "Purple Rice", you can find it online, too.
- This recipe was originally from Hawaiian Electric Company's website, I added lower-calorie directions (how I personally make the dish) and the coconut extract.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!