Pumpkin Soup With a Kick
A Thai pumpkin soup without the coconut milk or cream and came about as a combination of several recipes on ZAAR. The quantities of vegetables given are a guide line. I also use a heavy enameled cast iron pot to cook in. Will freeze well but needs to be blended when defrosted before heating. The preparation time is taken up in peeling and chopping vegetables you could use predone if available. Also if you wanted to make it vegetarian use vegetable stock in place of chicken.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 (1 1/2 kg) butternut pumpkin
- 1 (175 g) brown onions
- 1 (270 g) sweet potatoes
- 2 (145 g) carrots
- 1 (155 g) leeks
- 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- Peel and chop vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Warm oil in pot, add Red Thai Curry Paste, sauté onion and leek until soft (about 2 to 3 minutes), add other vegetable and stir for another minute of two.
- Add chicken stock and bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool then either blend in a blender or food process or use a stick blender to smooth out.
- Serve with a dollop of cream or sour cream if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
One of the pots of soup made for a family weekend that added variety to our meal. Made as posted using home made chicken stock, blending with my Bamix which has the soup nice and smooth in short order. We all agreed it was nice and creamy. Used a tablespoon of the Thai Red Curry Paste which was about right for us. It's one that I will definetley make again. Made for Soup Is On.Reply