Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
These are very light rolls pleasantly flavored with pumpkin, that could be served with a main dish. Home cooked pumpkin could be used instead of the canned pumpkin. BTW, one 15 oz can of pumpkin contains about 2 cups. This recipe yields about 3 pounds of dough. Prep time includes rising times. Each roll is 1 1/2 oz
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 F)
- 7 1⁄2 ounces canned or fresh pumpkin puree (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sugar (1/3 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 -6 cups flour
- extra butter, softened
- Put warm water into a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the surface; stir to moisten yeast and wait a few minutes for it to start dissolving.
- Stir in pumpkin, butter, sugar, egg, salt and 3 cups of the flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make a dough that can be handled, but still soft.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide it in half.
- Round off each half to make 16 balls, place the dough balls into a greased 9-inch square pan.
- Do the same with the remaining dough.
- Let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Bake until golden and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- (In my oven there were areas that browned too quickly; I covered them with foil and continued baking until done.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very easy and delicious! Between my stand mixer and warming drawer to proof the dough, these were hardly any work. Love the pumpkin flavor and a bit of extra nutrition from it. Moist, crusty, fluffy, just a terrific dinner roll. The pumpkin flavor is so mild these go great with just about any dish. The only changes I'll make next time are a pinch more salt and an egg wash as the tops were quite pale in color.1Reply
I have never made pumpkin rolls before, but I sure will again, They were just so good. I had a can of pumpkin sitting in my cupboard since last October, and I wanted to make something different with it. I had had this recipe in my cookbook and decided to give it a try since I make all my own bread and buns. The only thing I did differently was I increased the yeast to 2 tablespoons, I prefer to use more yeast as they rise faster. Miambao, thank you for sharing this great recipe, I will be making more tomorrow!...Kitten:)Reply