- Ready In:
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄3 lb Italian sausage
- 4 whole tomatoes, peeled crushed
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In skillet, fry Italian sausage breaking into small pieces.
- Cook until light brown and pinkness is gone.
- In medium skillet heat olive oil and add onion and garlic until soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes and spices and simmer until most of the liquid of the tomatoes is cooked out, about 10 minutes.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the "ribs" in the underside of the mushrooms.
- It's best to do this under cold water.
- Rinse clean and set on a paper towel to dry.
- Once they are fairly dry place on a cookie sheet.
- Place cooked and crumbled sausage equally inside the bowl of the mushrooms.
- Add equal amount of sauce on the top of the sausage.
- Add equal amounts of mozzarella cheese to the top of the sauce and sausage.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Optional: Top with crushed red pepper flakes for a little zip.
- Try adding sliced pepperoni or other favorite pizza toppings for a variety.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!