Pineapple Habanero Ice Cream
- Ready In:
- 1 habanero pepper (only 1 believe me! you can substitute 2 jalapenos if you are shy)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (in a pinch I have used rice flour before, basically you need a thickening agent with no flavor)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- In a saucepan, bring pineapple, peppers and 3/4 cup sugar to a boil.
- Add cornstarch by mixing a small amount of liquid in the starch in a separate bowl before adding to the pineapple mixture. Let boil until peppers start to integrate into the liquid but before they start to turn color (sorry this part is vague, but I let mine boil/simmer for about 7-10 minutes stirring constantly so nothing burned or stuck to the pan).
- While pineapple is simmering bring milk and vanilla beans to just about boiling (you will need to scrape your vanilla beans and add both the pulp and the bean).
- Separate egg yolks and whisk in a medium bowl with the last 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Once milk is almost boiling add small amounts to the egg and sugar mixture to temper the eggs. Add slowly or you will have scrambled eggs!
- Once the milk has been added completely put it back in the pan and bring to a simmer or to 175°F which basically ensures you have a custard consistency.
- Once you reach custard consistency immediately remove from heat and pour through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl.
- Add pineapple and pepper mixture to the bowl and stir until it starts to cool.
- Add 2 cups of creme and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before putting it in the ice cream maker.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!