Pineapple Ginger Preserves
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch rings, cored, coarsely chopped (2 four-pound fruits ~ about 8 cups prepared)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- In a heavy kettle, combine the sugar and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved; boil until it registers 220F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in the pineapple and the ginger; simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring to prevent scorching for 1 hour, or until it registers 220 F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the kettle from the heat and ladle the preserves into 5 sterilized 1/2-pint jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the tops.
- Wipe the rims with a dampened towel and seal the jars with the lids.
- Screw on bands finger-tight.
- Put the jars in a water bath canner or on a rack set in a deep kettle.
- Add enough hot water to the canner or kettle to cover the jars by 2 inches, and bring it to a boil.
- Process the jars, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Transfer them with tongs to a rack or countertop protected with a heat-resistant mat, and let them cool completely.
- Store the jars in a cool dark place.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!