Holiday Plum Rhubarb Preserves
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
7 1/2 pint jars
- 4 cups coarsely chopped red plums
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced crystillized ginger
- 1 orange, zest and chopped meat (seeds n white pith discarded)
- 2 tbsp.bottled lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- In a large pan combine the everything but the sugars.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly to avoid sticking and burning.
- When it has come to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer, partly covered, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.
- Slowly pour in the sugar, stirring constantly to avoid sticking and burning.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow mixture to simmer gently, uncovered, stirring often and reducing heat further as the mixture thickens - about 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and skim off any foam and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust the caps.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- Make sure tops of jar are cover by an inch of water.
- Cool at room temperature and store in your cabinet.
- Chill after opening.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!