Pickled Red Beets
photo by Rinshinomori
- Ready In:
- scrub beets and remove tops.
- Cook beets until tender.
- Drain and reserve beet juice.
- Remove skins and cut beets into chunks.
- Combine vinegar, juice, sugar,& spices.
- Bring to a boil. Remove spices. Add beet chunks and boil again. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very clean tasting excellent recipe for pickled beets. I scaled the recipe to make for only 4 beets and 3 boiled eggs. Because of the smaller amount, did not follow the procedure for canning and instead are kept in the refrigerator. I think the addition of cloves and cinnamon sticks is important in bringing out the taste here. Also added half sliced yellow onion. Brings back memories of my childhood days living in Amish area. Thanks for posting this recipe khah.
This is a fantastic recipe. One of the best for making pcikled red beets and the one I always use for home canning my own pickled red beets. Years ago, I found this exact recipe in The Best of Amish Cooking cookbook and I have not found a better tasting version since. I do add one Tbs. of Allspice to the mix.