Penne With Onion, Red Bell Peppers and Tomatoes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Penne alla Peperonata
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 5 large red bell peppers (about 2 pounds)
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 lb penne rigate or 1 lb pasta shells
- Heat 1/3 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pancetta and cook, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon transfer pancetta to a plate.
- Place skillet back on medium heat.
- Add onion, cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes then add peppers.
- Cook, stirring, until peppers begin to color and soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Return pancetta to skillet, add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until peppers are tender and juices in skillet have thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add a little water or broth if juices should reduce too much.
- Taste and adjust seasoning and turn heat off. Makes 2 and 1/2 to 3 cups of sauce.
- Cook pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until 'al dente'.
- Put skillet back on medium heat.
- Add remaining olive oil.
- Stir to blend.
- Drain pasta and add to skillet with sauce.
- Season lightly with salt.
- Mix quickly over low heat until pasta and sauce are well combined.
- Taste, adjust seasoning and serve.
- That's it!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note