- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 12 tablespoons butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped (about 12 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Prepare pan (9x13 or 10x15) by lining it with parchment paper (or grease pan heavily because the filling gets quite sticky after baking).
- Crust: Place all crust ingredients in a mixer. Mix until it looks like coarse grain, then pour this crumbly mixture into prepared pan. Use floured fingers to pat dough firmly into place. Bake crust at 350°F until light golden brown, 22-24 minutes (9x13) or 20-22 minutes (10x15).
- Filling: While crust is baking, place pecans in food processor and pulse to chop coarsely; set pecans aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; then add white sugar and stir until dissolved. REMOVE FROM HEAT NOW and add corn syrup, vanilla and eggs. Add pecans. (It's important that this mixture is warm, but not HOT which would cook the eggs).
- Remove crust from oven; pour warm pecan mixture over hot crust and return to oven. Bake at 350°F for 32-34 minutes (9x13) or 25-27 minutes (10x15 jellyroll). When it is done, only the very center will appear wobbly and most of the filling will have puffed up slightly to indicate that the eggs are cooking and setting up.
- **Tip for cutting: freeze pecan squares a couple hours, then use a serrated knife which will score through the pecans for perfect small squares.
- Chocolate Pecan Squares: Add 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to the filling before baking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
You did not disappoint with this recipe, it tastes better than pecan pie because of the shortbread crust. However the filling did not set for me. I did make it in a 9x13 pan and left if in the oven for an additional 5 minutes, too. I added this recipe to my Christmas baking this year and it is tucked nicely in the freezer right now to enjoy in a couple weeks. Thanks again Cooking Diva.