- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 10 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 ham bone
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, with leaves (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Pick over peas and soak overnight.
- Drain; add remaining ingredients, except seasonings.
- Simmer 3 to 4 hours or until soft. (note if using a crock pot you can cook this on high about 4 to 6 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours).
- Remove bone and celery, rub through a sieve and season. If soup is too thick add boiling water.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Nice flavor from the ham bone. I've never added beer to soup before but that was even good. It just had a little to much water in it for me. I used 8 cups of water and did not soak the peas. Maybe 6 cups would have been better for me. For the inquiry mind, 2 cups dried split peas is equal to a 16 ounce bag. Made for *Zaar Tag* game 2007
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Married mother of twins. I very seldom ever use recipes as they are written, always modifying and adjusting them. Many times I will take three or four different recipes and come up with a new recipe based on those. <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg">