Pear Onion Quiche
- Ready In:
1 10 inch quiche
For the Crust
- 100 g spelt flour (can use ap, too)
- 100 g whole spelt flour (can use whole wheat, too)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs, dried
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 g vegetarian pate (like tartex, tofu or sunflower seed based, with onion flavour, may sub butter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cold water (may need more)
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 red onions, halved and sliced
- 2 pears, firm but ripe (halved and sliced)
- 200 g light sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 200 g swiss cheese, grated (can use light)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs, dried
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- For the Crust combine flours, herbs and salt in a big bowl. Using your fingers work in the vegetarian spread or butter until coarse crumbs have formed. Add the egg and the tbs of water. Knead into a smooth dough. If dough is too dry, add another tbs of water and knead again.
- Pat dough into a greased 10 inch spring-form pan (or pie dish). Prick with a fork and pre-bake in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile for the filling heat the oil in a pan. Sautee onions and pear slices for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a big bowl beat together eggs and sour cream. Add cheese, herbs and spices.
- Fold the slightly cooled sauteed onions and pears into the sour cream mixture. Pour this into the pre-baked pie shell.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C/350°F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and quiche is slightly browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!