Peanut and Tofu Cutlets/ Burger Patties
- Ready In:
8 cutlets/burger patties
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice (measured uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g peanuts (1 3/4 cups)
- 250 g firm tofu, washed drained and crumbled (9oz)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (coriander)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for shallow frying
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet, until tender. Drain the rice.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy frypan and cook off the onion and garlic over a low heat, stir occassionally, for about 5 minutes. The onion should be softened and golden.
- Meanwhile, spread out the peanuts on a baking sheet and toast under a preheated grill (broiler) for a few minutes, until browned. Alternately, you can toast the peanuts using a dry pan on the stove top- keep them moving while heating.
- Place the toasted peanuts, onion, garlic, rice, crumbled tofu, coriander and parsley (can use just 1/2 cup or either cilantro or parsley if wished) in a food processor. Add a little salt and pepper to seson if desired. Process until the mixture forms a thick paste. If it is too thick, add a little water.
- Divide the mixture into eight equal portions and form each mound into a cutlet, flat square or burger shape.
- Heat the olive oil on a large, heavy frypan.
- Add the cutlets and cook for about 5-10 minutes on each side, until they turn golden brown and are heated through. THis step can be done in two batches if needed.
- Drain the cutlets on kitchen paper. Can be kept warm in the oven if cooking in two or more batches.
- Serve and enjoy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!