Paula Deen Sweet Potato Balls
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large marshmallows, per potato ball
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the potatoes until tender, then peel and mash them. Stir in the brown sugar, orange juice, zest and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, toss the coconut with the sugar and cinnamon. Press mashed potatoes around each marshmallow, creating a 2 to 3-inch diameter ball. Roll the balls in the coconut mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Watch carefully for the last few minutes of cooking; the expanding marshmallows can cause the potato balls to burst open.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sweet potato balls were so popular in the 60s and 70s. When I came across Paula's recipe, I knew I had to try it as she had tweaked it. They were a huge hit at Thanksgiving dinner and even better the next day. This is definitely going into my recipe file. Thanks of reminding us of these gems. (Check out the reviews on the food network.)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up with a Godly grandma who was all about cooking from scratch, an extraordinary and Godly mother & father who loved me, protected me, watched over me, helped me, supported me, and loved to cook. Since their passing, food is one thing my sister and I can remember all of them for; especially my mom's great cookies & desserts as well as my dad's out of this world BBQ! I am married to a Godly and the most loving man of my prayers & dreams! He serves in the US Army, and I could not be more proud of him every day! We love to have others over to feed them, and to bring a little of our family's traditions to them. Often there are Soldiers that do not get to make it home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.; and we love to open our home, hearts, and dinner table to anyone who needs a little cheer and knowing that God loves them too! If you are reading this, may God bless you and give you favor as you go through your day, week, and month! He puts His angels over those who love and fear HIM! We know we love HIM...make sure you do too! God's blessings....The McGowan Family!