Paul Bunyan Burgers
This is from Quick Cooking (2001) and credited to Jo Reed. I made these (with a few changes) for an afternoon BBQ and my guests just loved the flavor of these burgers! I omitted the bacon, mushrooms, and horseradish, and made smaller, single-decker burgers to yield more than 3 servings.
- Ready In:
- 3 ounces bacon, diced (6 bacon strips)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped (3 onion slices)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 slices American cheese (or other yellow cheese)
- 3 hamburger buns, split
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to paper towel to drain.
- In bacon drippings, saute mushrooms & onion until tender.
- Transfer to a bowl with slotted spoon and add bacon.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, salt, pepper, and horseradish.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Shape into 6 patties (1/4" thick).
- Divide bacon mixture among 3 patties.
- Top bacon mixture with a cheese slice; fold in corners of cheese.
- Top with remaining 3 patties & seal edges.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot coals for 10-12 minutes or until meat juices run clear, turning once.
- Serve on buns.