Oven Kalua Pork
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A luau favorite! Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 30mins
- 5 lbs pork butt
- 3 tablespoons hawaiian sea salt
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 8 ti leaves, with ribs removed
- 1 piece aluminum foil, heavy duty
- Make several slashes on the surface of the pork butt.
- Rub with salt, then liquid smoke.
- Lay out 4 ti leaves on the aluminum foil.
- Place pork on leaves and wrap them around the pork.
- Cover with remaining leaves in the opposite direction until pork is completely wrapped.
- Fold the foil tightly around the pork to make a watertight seal.
- Place in a large roasting pan filled with two inches of water and cover pan tightly with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Then lower temperature to 325°; cook until tender (about 3 to 3-1/2 hours).
- Unwrap pork from package and shred before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very classic recipe. My recipe calls for 1/4 cup liquid smoke but the rest is about the same. Rock salt can be substituted for the Hawaiian salt. The ti leaves help to keep the pork moist. Lucky for me I have ti growing in my yard. Anyone who does not have ti can omit it, or wrap the pork butt in moist cheesecloth and then place in the foil. Really onolicious with poi. Thanks for postingReply