Oven Baked Memphis Style Ribs
photo by tonymartin815
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 40mins
- First, we start by preheating the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile, take the spare ribs and wash them thoroughly. Run them under cold water and hand rub both sides.
- Remove the thin flap of meat on the back side; the piece that emulates flank steak. After, remove the thin, transparent film also located on the backside of the ribs. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! (If you dont, your ribs will be tough and bitter).
- Rub a small amount (1 cup total) of apple vinegar over both sides of the ribs. The vinegar draw the pork blood from the meat, and also acts as a tenderizer; and adds flavor.
- Sprinkle 3 table spoons of rub seasoning on the front, three on the back, and take about 2-3 minutes to rub it into, and spread thoroughly, on each side.
- Place ribs in a baking pan and cover with foil.
- Place ribs on a rack positioned in the middle of the oven.
- To create the mop, take 1 table spoon of your rub, add 1 cup of apple vinegar, and one table spoon yellow mustard. Mix together well.
- After 2 hours of cooking, remove the ribs and drain the juices from the pan. Apply mop mixture lightly to the meaty side of the ribs using a soaked paper towel, etc. When finished, recover with foil, place back in oven on middle rack, reset timer for another 2 hours.
- Once the second duration of 2 hours has finished, remove foil, remove ribs and drain the excess juice. Re apply mop lightly. return to over WITHOUT foil covering it. Switch oven to BROIL- High mode and broil for 10-15 minutes (or until you find the outer side crispy enough).
- remove from oven, sprinkle remaining table spoon of rub spices over front and back of ribs, and let sit uncovered for approximately 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!