Oriental Pepper Steak
photo by BeccaB3c
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) lean beef sirloin steaks
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons soy sauce (more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons water (or dry sherry)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander (more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil, divided (or you can use cooking spray)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups sliced bok choy
- 1 1 large green sweet peppers or 1 large yellow sweet pepper, cut into strips (I used 1 of each color)
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Thinly slice beef across the grain into bite-size strips.
- For sauce: In a small bowl, stir together beef broth, soy sauce, sherry (or water), cornstarch, sesame oil, crushed red pepper (cayenne), coriander, and ginger. Set sauce aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the cooking oil to a wok or large nonstick skillet. (Or cooking spray) Bring to medium-high heat.
- Add garlic; stir-fry for 15 seconds.
- Add bok choy; stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add pepper strips; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the vegetables are a crisp-tender. Then, remove the vegetables from the wok or skillet.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to wok.
- Then, add the beef; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the beef is done. (Don't drain the beef's juices)
- Push beef from center of wok and stir the sauce; add to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Return the vegetables to the wok, and stir them to coat with sauce. (Feel free to add more of the soy sauce, crushed red pepper, coriander, or ginger to get more flavor)
- Cook about 2 minutes more or until it is heated through. (Be sure to try a pepper strip or two to make sure they are cooked enough)
- Serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!