Roasted Chicken With Fresh Figs and Onions
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped plus 1 whole sprig
- 1 lemon, rinsed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, about 3-1/2 lbs (1.5 kg)
- 2 medium onions, cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 fresh figs, whole, halved and quartered or 2 peaches, halved and quartered
- rosemary sprig (to garnish)
- 1 lemon, rinsed and quartered (optional)
- Combine the lemon rind, parsley, garlic, chopped rosemary, and olive oil. Coat the chicken with this mixture, and place the whole sprig of rosemary and half the lemon into the cavity of the chicken,and reserving half lemon for placing around pan when roasting.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and arrange the onion and remaining lemon half around it, sprinkling with the soy sauce and oil.
- (Optional: Add an additional quartered lemon to pan, to roast around the chicken, and add as a garnish to each serving.).
- Roast the chicken in a 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven for 45 minutes.
- Arrange the figs around the chicken, and continue to cook for about 30 to 45 minutes until done ,or when the temperature reaches 185 degrees F (85 degrees C) when measured with a thermometer in the thigh (see tip in recipe description).
- Discarding the half lemon and rosemary sprig; transfer the chicken, onions, and figs to a platter and serve garnished with fresh rosemary.
Join The Conversation
Amazing taste, and the chicken came out so juicy! I put part of the seasoning under the skin of the breast, and added an extra lemon to the pot. The figs came out so sweet and were such a great combo with the onions and the lemony taste. I usually don't eat chicken breast, but I couldn't help but have a slice because it was perfectly cooked and juicy. The flavor of the herbs saturated the meat. So good!!! Made for SWT 2019 - The Traveling Tastebuds