Old Fashioned Onion Rings
photo by Ashley Cuoco
- Ready In:
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F.
- Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork.
- Dip the floured fings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping.
- The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum foil for easier clean up.
- Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish.
- Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the rings to coat.
- The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Deep fry the rings a few at time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to paper towels to drain. Seasoning with season salt, and serve.
Perfect onion rings!!! I made these in a scaled back version to serve one. I put some on a plate to take out side for a photo and when I came back in 20 yo DS (who doesn't normally like onion rings) was eating the few other onion rings on the paper towel and then he tried to steal more from my plate, lol!! Definitely a winner in this house. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT8.
"These were very good, I really liked them," says 8 year old Joel. You've got to follow the recipe exactly. Dip into flour, set aside for several minutes, etc. DO NOT STRAY from the directions! This recipe produces yumalicious, crispy, fat, oversized, classic, eat-em-all-up onion rings just like you get at your favorite restaurant. "But better," Joel is quick to add. : )
I doubled the recipe, and left out the salt. Made for lunch today, and made for 4. Great tasting lunch, and absolutely liked the seasoning salt on these. They ended up nice and crunchy, and by far bigger than those onion rings you buy at supermarkets and fast food places. Great onion rings. Made for New Zaar tag. The breadcrumbs were a nice touch in these too