Norwegian Bacon and Egg Cake
photo by JackieOhNo!
- Ready In:
- In a large, heavy skillet on medium heat, fry the bacon in batches until almost crisp. Set each batch on a plate covered in paper towels to drain off the excess fat. Place on a plate in the oven to stay warm.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp of the bacon fat from the skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, flour, salt and pepper until just blended. Slowly add the half-and-half until ingredients are well blended and frothy.
- Add the egg mixture, along with any optional ingredients, to the skillet. Reduce the heat to very low and slowly cook until the egg mixture has set to a firm custard consistency. (check the bottom often to make sure it is not burning, but don't stir the mixture) It should take about 20 mins to set.
- Top with the bacon slices and chives or green onions. Slice into wedges and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful breakfast!! I made 1/3 of the recipe, and as the intro states, added my own mix of veggies (onion, red bell pepper, hashbrown potatoes & cheddar cheese) and chose to top with fresh chives. I used my small cast iron skillet and it didn't take as long as the recipe states, but I think I should have used an even smaller pan, as it was quite a thin egg bake. Served this with blueberry muffins and some fresh fruit. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 9.