New York Cheesecake With Lorna Doone Cookie Crust
photo by carolannsp
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 (10 ounce) package nabisco lorna doone cookies
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temp
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 5 eggs, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond)
- 1 orange, zest of (optional)
- 1 lemon, zest of (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Finely crush entire pkg of cookies, mix in the butter. This can be done in a food processor on pulse. Butter the sides of the springform pan. Press the cookie mixture into bottom of 9 inch springform pan. DO NOT BAKE.
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour and zests (if using). Add the 5 eggs and 2 egg yolks one at a time. Add the vanilla into the cream, and then add the cream to the cheese mixture. Beat on low speed (it's easiest to use a counter top heavy duty mixer) until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Place the springform pan with crust in the center of a shallow baking pan (to avoid oven drips). Pour filling into crust, it will be completely full. Place in the middle of oven for 12 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 250F and continue baking (approx. 1 hr to 1 hr 15 mins) until the center is mostly firm but still has a slight jiggle. (A little jiggle is good, if you overbake it you will end up with cracks that can be covered with a nice fruit topping to hide your sin).
- After removing from oven, run a knife around the edge and cool on a rack for 6 hours Remove side of springform pan and transer to a flat plate.
- It can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 weeks (good luck on it still being around), but is best served after allowing to return to room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I’ve never been one to review before actually trying a recipe, but must say that this looks like it would be the ultimate cheesecake! I was searching for a recipe for pie crust made with Lorna Doone shortbread when your Auntie Ann’s recipe came up. Give her a huge hug from me! I can just tell this will be my favourite cheesecake recipe. I will likely make it for Easter, and will post a review.
This cheesecake turned out beautifully! My shortbread recipe didn’t turn out well for a bottom crust (couldn’t buy shortbread here), but worked wonderfully for a topping over sour cream and cooked blueberries. I let the cheesecake stay in the fridge for 5 nights to ripen, and it turned out beautifully. The best cheesecake I have made. The best I’ve tasted! So luscious and creamy. Remember not to overbake...the cake should not be browned on top, just a little line around the edges, with a slightly jiggly center.