Mushroom and Bean Cholent (Slow-Cooking Stew)
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 20mins
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups soybeans, dry
- 1⁄2 cup rice (optional)
- 6 dried mushrooms
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup greens, chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 4 small white potatoes, cut in half
- 1 carrot
- 1 green pepper
- 6 cups water (or broth)
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in bottom of cooker. Add onions, half of beans and rice, garlic, dried mushrooms, and sesame oil. Top with the rest of the beans and rice, spices, any vegetables. Top with potatoes and oil.
- Add stock or water to top of crockpot. Let sit overnight in order to soak beans (it's OK to refrigerate).
- Start the crockpot in the morning or early afternoon on low setting. You may need to check once and add water. Stew is ready the next day in the morning or early afternoon (24-28 hours later). Add salt after cooking is done.
- Serve with sour cream for an extra-delicious stew.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!