- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 whole cloves
- 6 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream or 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 mins., until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add curry powder, chili powder, cumin, and cloves. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, rice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add apples and parsley. Simmer for 10 more minutes Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and lemon juice. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!