Mom's Christmas Breakfast (Make Ahead)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb Little Smokies sausage, cut in thirds
- 5 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a greased 9X13 casserole dish, alternate layers of bread, sausage, and cheese.
- Beat eggs, then add milk, salt, and mustard. Pour over meat and cheese mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Mix soup and milk together in a pourable cup. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, pour the soup and milk mixture over all, bake 300*F 1-1/2 hours until set.
Join The Conversation
I love this recipe. A little like souffle and/or fluffy quiche. I cut the recipe in half but used 3 eggs instead of 2 1/2 eggs. Used 8 1/4 inch round dish for baking. Since I did not want to waste the soup/milk mixture, I made the whole serving of soup/milk topping mixture and used half of it and froze the other half for another time. Also, since this reminded me a bit of another dish with mushroom soup, I added some already made sauerkraut (about 2/3 C total) during the layering. This recipe is great for creativity and I also added some garlic and hot sauce to the filling. I baked the dish for about 1 hour and 40-45 minutes. The topping of soup/mixture browned nicely and the dish puffed up beautifully. The taste was fabulous! I did not let the filling mixture sit overnight - too hungry and only let the mixture sit for 2 hours or so. I knew this was ok because I make enough bread pudding and the mixture is similar except this one is savory instead of sweet. We served this for dinner with a green salad. Thank you Chef PotPie for posting this great recipe! A keeper for sure. Will try to post a photo tomorrow.
My Mother-In-Law has been making this for breakfast on Christmas day since I met my Dear Husband and before. It's really wonderful, and we always look forward to brunch at Mom's. This recipe can be changed all about, too. I've used pepper-jack cheese and shrimp, Havarti and crab...We just like it best the way Mom makes it! This goes very well with little sweet rolls, fresh strawberries, juice and coffee.