Momma's Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
photo by Lynda Of Virginia
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, grilled and shredded (3 cups of shredded meat)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 1⁄2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup BREAKSTONE'S Reduced Fat Sour Cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained, I used roasted, fresh Hatch peppers and recommend them if you can find them
- 1 1⁄2 cups four-cheese Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 8 flour tortillas, 6-inch
- Place shredded chicken in bowl, add 2/3 cup of shredded cheese and set aside.
- In med. saucepan, melt butter and add diced onions letting cook on med-low heat until tender.
- Add flour, cumin and cayanne pepper.
- Whisk in stock and bring to a simmer. Add cream cheese and stir frequently until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and diced green chilis.
- Spread some of the sauce on bottom of 11 x 7 baking dish.
- Add enough sauce to chicken/cheese to moist consistancy.
- Spread small amount of sauce on flour torilla.
- Add chicken filling. Roll and place seam side down in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over top of enchiladas, covering them.
- Sprinkle with remaing shredded cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 deg. for 20 minutes, remove foil and cook for 10 minutes more. (or until bubbly).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!