Mexican Salad With Honey Lime Dressing
photo by Brooke the Cook in
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup jicama, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup corn kernel (fresh uncooked preferred, but can substituted frozen or canned)
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (reduced fat variety, if desired)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (original recipe called for 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and toss. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This salad was so good. We're enjoying it for a second night and I feel as though I could eat it every night. I substituted baby spinach for the romaine, red onion for the green onions, used a whole avocado and increased the cilantro. I included jicama because I had it on hand, but for those who find it difficult to obtain I don't think its absence would be significant. Thanks, MathMom, for such a great recipe.
I made this delightful salad a couple of days ago for dinner. Yum! I pretty much followed the recipe except I already had garbanzo beans so threw in a couple of handfuls of those instead of the black beans and used canned red peppers. I didn't have any fresh jalapeno but had an open can of chipotle peppers in adobo so threw in one of those instead. I made the dressing in the food processor to blend up the chipotle pepper really well. I absolutely loved the "fresh" taste of this salad with the crunchy jicama and great blend of flavors. Thanks for posting this gem, MathMom.calif, it's great!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Los Angeles County. Married 25 years. 3 kids ages 24, 21 and 12. I'm a math professor and a computer tech. The picture above is me running in the Los Angeles Marathon (the first time I did it) on March 4, 2007. I'm smiling because the picture was taken at mile 3. I wasn't smiling by the end. LOL. I've since done the Long Beach Marathon in Oct. 2007 and I did L.A. again in March 2008. The third time was the trick. I finally had a good race and I qualified to run the Boston Marathon which I did in April 2009. Now I'm into triathlon, since summer 2009. Besides cooking/baking I've recently started knitting again (Jan. 2008) and can be found at Ravelry.com most days. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg">