Mediterranean Stuffed Bell Peppers
photo by Derf2440
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 large bell peppers, your choice of color, cut in half lengthwise, seeds and membrane removed
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 3⁄4 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 12 kalamata olives, pits removed, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring the water to a boil, add the butter/margarine, stir to melt, stir in couscous, mix, cover and set aside for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove lid, stir to loosen the granules and allow it to cool before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except peppers and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the cut, cleaned peppers in a baking dish and fill the cavities with the stuffing.
- Cover with foil or a lid and place in preheated oven for 30 minutes, remove foil/lid, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- If not golden on top place under broiler for a minute or two but be careful that they don't burn.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We liked this recipe; tasty and satisfying! Cooking couscous in buttery water was new to me and I was particularly pleased with the resulting flavour and texture. Although I measured the ingredients carefully, I found the recipe made too much stuffing for two peppers; I had enough for at least one more pepper or possibly two. No matter, we had the left-over stuffing as a couscous salad the next day :-)
These stuffed peppers were alright if not a little bland. If it wasn't for the hot pepper flakes it would not have a lot of taste. It did have a passable taste , I thought the feta, garlic, onions and olives would have been more noticeable, I think if I made it again I would use less couscous and more of the other ingredients. The parmesan cheese was a nice finish. Good luck in the contest.