Meatball Sub Egg Roll
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
8 egg rolls
- 8 ounces frozen cooked meatballs, thawed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce (or jarred marinara sauce)
- 8 (6 inch) square egg roll wraps
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- peanut oil, for frying
- Toss the meatballs with 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce.
- Arrange an egg roll wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape. Brush the borders with beaten egg. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mozzarella into the center of the wrapper, then mound with meatballs (also about 2 to 3 tablespoons) and top with 2 basil leaves. Be sure to leave about 1 inch between the filling and the edges of the wrapper. Fold the end of the wrapper nearest you over the filling. Fold each side over the top, and then carefully roll the wrapper into a tight cylinder, tucking and tightening as you go.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers until all the filling is used up. As you go, remember to keep wrappers you have not yet used, as well as finished egg rolls, covered with a towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Add 4 to 5 inches of oil to a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven and heat to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the egg rolls in batches, 4 at a time, until the wrappers are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
- Serve with the remaining marinara sauce for dipping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!