Meatball Sandwich Casserole
This is a very easy casserole that everyone loves! My grandson Skyler will not stop eating this and the twins love it too.
- Ready In:
- 8 slices garlic bread (the Texas Style frozen garlic bread, with or without cheese)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 ounces frozen meatballs (about 36 meatballs)
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices (rub between the palms of your hands to release flavor)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese, to garnish (Grated or Shredded) (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange bread in a single layer in an ungreased 13X9X2 baking dish.
- Bake about 8 - 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or frying pan and add meatballs. Sauté for about 5 minutes stirring well. Add spaghetti sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and water.
- Pour sauce/meatball mix over bread.
- Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until hot in center. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with Grated or Shredded Parmesan Cheese if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was a wonderful idea and turned out pretty good. We used the garlic bread with cheese; that was a mistake, as the cheese browned too much on the bottom of the casserole during cooking. Also think it needs about 40 ounces or so of the spaghetti sauce. We added the 1/2 cup water (in place of the one cup suggested) plus 8 ounces of tomato sauce and it was still way too dry. Made with Kittencal's meatballs, which we made in advance and froze for this recipe. They were awesome. Thanks for the great idea. With a little tweaking next time (and definitely will make again), this should be wonderful.