Mashed Potatoes Olé
Aren't you getting tired of my magazine recipes? Maybe I either need to (1) stop subscribing to so many or (2) Read them & toss them. But those pictures look soooo good that I'm sure I'll make it someday. I can't swear to the publication but the date is Oct. 2004 & the page looks like those BHG prize tested cut-outs.
- Ready In:
- 3 ears fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 lb yellow potato, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb red potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced in 1 inch sections
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded & sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut corn kernels from cobs if using fresh.
- In a large saucepan, cook corn, potatoes, carrots, jalapeño peppers and garlic in enough boiling water to just cover for 15-20 minutes until all vegetables are tender. Drain off water.
- Add butter to vegetables & coarsely mash with a potato masher. Stir in sour cream & 3/4 cup cheese.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute or until cheese topping melts.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is a great, different version of mashed potatoes! I used regular baking potatoes (I usu. use red, but couldn't find organic ones right now.) I used 1 jalapeno, margarine, lite sour cream and added in some yellow squash that needed to be eaten. I always process my veggies so the kids can't complain as much. I think some onions would be great too.
Love it, love it! ALWAYS like to see a recipe that includes other veggies in the mashed potatoes, & this one is no exception! I did cut way back on the jalapeno peppers [put in just enough so that I knew they were there!], but other than that, everything was there [including LARGE cloves of garlic]! And, as per usual, I didn't peel the potatoes ~ what can I say, I like the peels! It all turned out great, & I'll be making this one over & over again! Many thanks!
Oh, WOW! These potatoes are to die for. I don't think I will ever be satisfied with plain old mashed potatoes ever again! I followed the recipe exactly, but I think you could get by with just any kind of potato. I only used a little jalapeno because I was afraid they might be too spicy. The potatoes turned out just right for my family. Thanks for sharing.