Maple Walnut Buttermilk Muffins
The Horn of the Moon by Ginny Callan
- Ready In:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (reserve 1 tablespoon)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add buttermilk, maple syrup and oil; stir well.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Add walnuts and stir just enough to moisten.
- Put ½ cup batter into each oiled muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the reserved walnuts on the muffins and bake 20 minutes or until browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These muffins are very good! After eating a couple of them right out of the oven (and another when cooled), I thought they were a bit dry. BUT, after they sat overnight in a container with a lid, they were just fine. I enjoy muffins made with whole wheat flour and using less sugar, so this recipe using maple syrup as the sweetener interested me. I will add more walnuts next time--at least 2/3 cup or a full cup of broken walnuts. Using a standard muffin pan, it made 13 muffins (one was in a little pyrex bowl). I baked them 20 min at 350 degrees. As soon as they pass the toothpick test, they are ready! They had a nice round top, making an attractive muffin.Reply