Mama Bear's Porridge
- Ready In:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons white sugar (to taste) (optional) or 2 -4 tablespoons brown sugar (to taste) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter (can use more)
- 1 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup full-fat milk
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan bring 3 cups water to a boil.
- In another bowl mix together powdered milk, oats, cinnamon and sugar (if using, can use white or brown sugar) quickly stir into the boiling water; return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 6-10 minutes or until the mixture is desired thickness.
- Remove from heat and mix in the raisins and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition (the hot porridge will cook the eggs completely).
- Divide the porridge between 3 or 4 bowls, then top with a teaspoon of butter (or more to taste) and then about 1/4 cup of cream or milk.
- Drizzle with honey as desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
First let me say that I made a lightened version using Splenda, fat free evap milk, Molly McButter. and less raisins. The likeness to rice pudding is a good one but to be honest I wasn't nuts about the egg in the oatmeal. Also it didn't cook in the cereal and I had to microwave it for it to cook. I believe that I'll skip the egg and the powdered milk and keep the vanilla, raisins and cinnamon. I'm glad I tried it and it does make a hearty breakfast as well as an easy and quick one.