Macaroni and Cheese..... Please
Crispy, crunchy, golden brown on top…moist, creamy and luscious inside. This is the perfect comfort food.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces good strong cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
- Prepare macaroni as directed on the package.
- Drain well, rinse and set aside.
- Place 2 TBS butter and the onion in a small saucepan .
- Cook over medium heat until tender, but not browned.
- Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the milk and cook, stirring until smooth.
- Mix the cheeses together.
- Add about ¾ of the cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Put the cooked macaroni into a greased 1 ½ litre casserole.
- Pour the cheese sauce over, tossing with a fork to coat all the macaroni.
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and mix together with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle evenly over the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a simple mac and cheese dish that had a very nice presentation. For our tastes, I think the emmenthaler seemed a little over powering, but the dish as a whole was very moist and creamy as described. I would make this again, but probably not with the swiss cheese. Thanks Queen for the chance to try another version of a down-home classic.Reply
see 2 more