Low Fat Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
A great low fat muffin with a nice hint of lemon.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, zest of (2 Lemons)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix well.
- In large bowl, beat oil with sugar, eggs, buttermilk, poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into 12 large non-stick, lightly sprayed or paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, bring lemon juice and sugar to boil.
- Remove from heat a cool until muffins are done.
- When muffins come out of the oven, prick the tops in a few places with a toothpick and spoon syrup over the top and allow to soak into the muffins.
- Cool and remove muffins from pan.
- *Should you want a more lemon flavor to the muffin, reduce buttermilk by 1 Tbsp and add 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice to the batter*.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was just what I was looking for-- a lighter poppy seed muffin to replace my traditional, more cake-like recipe. I love what the buttermilk does for this recipe! I didn't make the sauce, and I thought they were sufficiently--but not too-- sweet. Good for breakfast and snacks. Thanks for a keeper!Reply
see 2 more