Low Fat Crunchy Granola
photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 275º.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine brown sugar and water in a 4-cup microwave proof glass measuring cup or bowl.
- Place in microwave on high for 5 minutes and cook until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from microwave, add vanilla and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, nuts, wheat bran, oat bran, wheat germ, coconut, sunflower seeds, and brown sugar syrup mixture.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread the granola onto cookie sheets and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden and crunchy.
- Stir every fifteen minutes.
- (I use a very large stainless steel bowl instead of a cookie sheet) After baking you may add raisins, dates, or any other dried fruit.
- Yield 14 cups (before adding fruit).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is definitely the best tasting Low Fat granola recipe I've tried. The strongest flavor is the wheat germ but that's okay because I love it. I didn't have all the ingredients so I used what I had. I was out of wheat bran so I doubled the oat bran. I was also out of sunflower seeds, which was a bummer because they are always a favorite of mine in granola. I used sliced almonds for my nuts. I tried cooking this in a roasting pan since the use of a metal bowl was mentioned. After 60 minutes in the oven though, it still wasn't crunchy. I then switched to two cookies sheets and it was perfect in another 30 minutes. I add dried fruit to my bowl each day as the mood strikes me. Very good! Thanks for sharing!