Healthy Blueberry Oat Bran Muffins
photo by suzkonopka
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, see note below
- 1 1⁄2 cups oat bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°. Makes 12 muffins.
- Add buttermilk to oat bran and let stand.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In large bowl beat vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla together.
- Add buttermilk-bran mixture to liquids and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients all at once and stir until ingredients are just blended.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared muffins tins. Either paper lined or greased.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden.
- NOTE--1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice with milk added to make 1 1/2 cups may be substituted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Just finished baking and couldn’t wait to try these. Warm and gooey, not to mention tasty. I used brown sugar and wheat flour. Drizzled a little honey on top before baking. I’m a big fan of blueberries so I used about 1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries. I also added a snack size cup of applesauce to the liquids. I think it helps keep them moist, and they are. Next time I think I will try 3/4 c bran and 3/4 c oatmeal. Just because they look quite bland. All in all a good recipe. Thanks for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>.I would like to thank all the members who have been so kind as to write a review for my recipes. I am unable to respond to anyone. Thanks for trying them. <br />You can contact me at dorel34 at gmail.com. Use the @ sign and no spaces.</p>